Monday 17 September 2007

My Influences, a biography of me













Hi,


In this post I decided to talk about me and what makes me tick. I could of just listed the things I really liked, but I felt the easiest way was to do the collage above. It contains some of my favourite characters from the history of animation. I enjoy animation, obviously, but I not quite sure what it is about it I enjoy. All I know is that I am instantly drawn to it.


In my heart I hold a special place for Mickey. Something about him makes him so utterly appealing, but it is something that can not be identified. I know some people out there say that Mickey is not the funniest, he didn't hold dynamite like Bugs Bunny or was clumsy like Goofy, he is just a nice, little guy who always does his best no matter what the situation. That's why I think I route for him more. I have a similar relationship with Kermit. He's my favourite because he's the guy trying to hold together this group of crazies, and he great that way.


My personal heroes are Walt Disney, Jim Henson, Stan Lee and Shiguru Miyamoto. What those men did astounds me.


That's not to say I don't like Bugs Bunny, Goofy etc I really do. The Looney Tunes cartoons are some of the funniest ever made. I had the opportunity to meet with Linda Jones once. That was a wonderful experience. I also got to meet Nick Park and Steve Box. The are very nice.


As you probably can tell from the collage, I enjoy a wide variety of cartoons, movies, comics and video games. I really grew up on American stuff like Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera cartoons and the cartoons of the early nineties, Duck Tales, Tiny Toons, Batman etc which I watch on weekend mornings. Disney Club on channel 3. I also enjoyed a selection of British cartoons, Sooty, Danger Mouse etc. Animated movies where and still are a large part of my life, from Dumbo, through Who framed Roger Rabbit and the little Mermaid up to Lilo and Stitch. Along the way Pixar arrived and blew me away.


Of course when I was younger I had a Nes and a Mega Drive and grew up on those systems.


I didn't get cable until I was about thirteen and found out the wonders of Cartoon Network. New shows like the Powerpuff Girls and Cow and Chicken blew me away. This is where I saw my first anime in Dragonball Z, it was different and exciting.


As one gets older, one acquires a taste for superhero comics and South Park, but I hope to never lose my passion for Disney, Looney Tunes etc.


I personally believe that no matter where a animation comes from, as long as it has good characters, story and animation, that's fine by me.


Of course, being British, I also grew up with British Sitcoms. Only Fools and Horses is of course a personal favourite, but so is Mr. Bean, Fawlty Towers etc. Eventually I found American sitcoms like Friends. Good Comedy is it's own reward.


Well, I hope that gives you a quick insight into me. Bye!




No comments: